The £14 million Dawlish Warren beach management scheme gets underway during January: the Environment Agency and Teignbridge District Council are working together to complete the project by September. The Warren is close to our hearts at Sandays as well very close to us physically so we will be watching the changes day by day and posting news every so often. The dredging phase starting in June should be particularly interesting.
These are the key works that will take place:
- January: establishing site compounds in Beach Road car park and around the Warren
- February, March and May: removing existing gabion stone – to be completed in two phases to avoid the Easter holiday period and allow translocation of sand lizards
- April to June: installing new timber groynes (groynes 10 to 14)
- May: starting work on the defences at the ‘neck’
- June to mid-July: dredging material from Pole Sands, pumped onshore between groyne 1 and 4 to be complete before the start of the summer holiday
- Mid-July to end of August: complete remaining beach replenishment work between groyne 4 to 14 September: works completed